I am very proud that I can say this and it makes me feel good when other people notice, but on nights like tonight with no one around I still take the time to make a "standard" weeknight meal for one. When I am cooking for myself I like to make one dish meals in a bowl. It looks and tastes hearty and it's an ideal vessel for curling up on the couch and watching crappy TV. People often talk about cooking for one as if it were a bad thing, but for me it is comforting. I am taking care of and treating myself, for my own sake; and that is something I will never give up.
that is really cool.
Spicy Stir Fry
1 serving of brown rice cooked according to package directions
4 oz. veal cutlets (or chicken or beef or pork...you get it)
1/2 serrano pepper minced
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tsp. Chinese five spice
2 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
1/4 tsp. salt
6 broccoli florets
1) Combine serrano pepper, hoisin sauce, Chinese five spice, sesame oil and salt in a small bowl. This is your marinade.Cut your protein into strips and put it in the marinate. Let it hang out for 15-30 minutes.
2) Steam the broccoli until it is tender but still has a bite, 6 to 8 minutes.
3) Heat a small pan over medium heat and put the meat and marinade in the pan. Sautee the meat until it is cooked through, 3-4 minutes for veal. Take out the meat reserving the juices and put the broccoli in the sautee pan over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes to let it take some of the flavors.
4) Put your rice in the bottom of a bowl, pour your broccoli with the marinade over the rice and then add the meat.
5) Eat immediately.
• adjust the amount of serrano pepper you put in depending on your taste.
• I garnished mine with sciracha hot sauce, because if you haven't figure it out yet I like things very spicy.